Shareback: New vs Used

Submitted to The Shop

Rusto Garage members weighed in on their auto buying habits!

Tell us about your used car buying experiences. Have they been good / bad / neutral? What are some of the things you've learned when buying used?

"Well!! I am glad you asked, haha. I have never bought a new vehicle in my life. At age 15 I purchased a 1954 Chevy and I have been pretty much GM other than a stray here and there. I can say I have had excellent luck or skill? in pretty much all my used cars. I was never a Ford fan, don't know why, just never was but I did buy a 1981 Fairmont that caught fire and a 1987 Hi Top Conversion van that had the motor seize up at 79,000 miles. My only 2 Fords, go figure. Things I have learned. Being a motorhead sure helps in buying used, all I can say." - @lindenbob

"I’ve never bought a new car. My newest one is 20 years old. That was a pain in the neck literally for me. I got rear ended up coming home from work one night, so while driving a wrecked car, I was searching the classifieds and multiple apps to buy a replacement vehicle. Once I actually found the vehicle, I wanted it was very easy, but finding it was a pain in the butt!" - @Brownie71

"I bought a ’99 mustang GT 1 time from a used car dealership. It was awesome. Wish I still had it. Luck buying from people a couple times not so much. Saved money but problems." - @Arthur

What have you found to be the best sources for used cars?

"Marketplace and craigslist." - @Magsy87

"Look everywhere, you never know where you next great car will come from.I found the Mustang at a dealers backlot( the ones they sell to wholesale lots)." - @Nickyb1993

"I tend to use Hemmings, Ebay, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, garage sales and word of mouth. The stuff I look for, most people would send to the scrap... that's how I can afford it (and all that is invested is my time)!" - @JJFerrero