National Inventors' Day Feb. 11th

Submitted to The Shop

National Inventors' Day honors inventors of the past, the creators of the present, and encourages the architects of the future. On February 11th, National Inventors' Day celebrates the genius behind design. It also dives into the history behind some of our most unusual inventions.

What do Ermal Fraze, Thomas Adams, Melitta Bentz, Patricia Beth, and Stephen Perry all have in common? They are recognized annually on February 11th, along with the Wright brothers, Thomas Edison, George Washington Carver, and Elisha Otis.

Thanks to inventors, we can safely ride in an elevator, have a well-lit room at the flip of a switch, speak to someone on the other side of the world or efficiently pump lotion from a bottle. Many inventors go their whole life without recognition for their creations, while others are household names. Nearly everything around us results from someone tinkering in their garage, laboratory, or basement trying to find a solution to a problem.

Some inventions may be happy accidents by an observant person; the microwave oven, penicillin, sticky notes, and bubble wrap may never have made their way into their current use if it were not for sharp or persistent inventors.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

The proverb "Necessity is the mother of invention" says a lot about how inventors look at life. They are a progressive, forward-thinking bunch. Without pacemakers, traffic signals, rubber bands, or coffee filters, where would we be?

Though there are some inventions that we may be better off without. A DVD re-winder doesn't quite fit the necessary criteria. Or, they are otherwise too impractical. For example, tugging around a stroller fridge for your watermelon along with the cooler and beach umbrella seems to be a bit of overkill. Still, without inventors, the world would be downright dull and much more challenging.

Inventors should keep track of their ideas, processes, ingredients, and components. Then, protect your inventions and get your unique creations patented.

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL INVENTORS' DAY

• Keep inventing!
  • Share your creations.
  • Recognize an inventor you know.
  • Read about inventors and inventions that changed the way we look at the world today. We recommend Mistakes that Worked by Charlotte Jones, The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gertner, and Five Notable Inventors by Wade Hudson.
  • Learn about the patent process and how to protect your ideas. Then, put your ideas to work for you!
  • Watch documentaries about your favorite inventions. You might find out something about the inventor you never knew!
  • Use #NationalInventorsDay to share on social media.

NATIONAL INVENTORS' DAY HISTORY

In 1983, President Ronald Reagan proclaimed the first National Inventors' Day, which takes place every year on Thomas Edison's birthday.

Inventors FAQ

Q. Do I have to be an inventor to celebrate this day?
A. No. You can celebrate a favorite inventor.

---

A little over a decade ago I was lucky enough to be a part of a ground breaking invention. My good friend Andy Zsinko invented electroluminescent paint called LumiLor.
I was fortunate enough be a part of the R&D behind the light up paint and created the curriculum with training programs. This helped me solidify a spot not only on a US Patent but also on German and Chinese Patents as well!

Website to the LumiLor product: www.lumilor.com

Are you an inventor or know someone who is? We'd love to know! Give them a shout out here!